Thursday, January 23, 2014

Blogging Tips: Writing good blog posts.

Check out the previous post: Blogging Tips: How to get more followers.
This post is more about how to KEEP those followers.
I follow over a hundred blogs and I've been reading and keeping up with blogs for the last 2-3 years. So these tips are from a reader's perspective, there are certain things in blog posts which I like so here's a list of things which make readers want to read blog posts.

Paragraphing --- I often come across posts which are so difficult to read and keep up with because there's no paragraphing at all. This makes me just skim over the post, not really reading anything, or giving up on reading the blog post altogether because I can't focus with so many words. So it's super important to write in paragraphs, so that your readers don't get frustrated while reading your blog posts.

Length of post --- Don't drag the post with meaningless content, but also don't make it too short. I personally find it easier to read posts which include lists or subheadings, it's an effective way to maintain the reader's attention.

Title --- The title of your post should tell the reader exactly what to expect, a plus would be to have some attention grabbing titles. But don't use a title that is irrelevant to the content just to get more people to click on your post.

Proof-read --- Read through the post before you publish it. I cringe everytime I find multiple spelling mistakes in one post and it makes me think... if the blogger doesn't care enough to proof-read, why should I care to read their post?

Pictures --- Include images in your posts along with the text, it keeps the readers from getting bored. This is something I'm struggling with, since I want to stop simply copying images from google images and using them on here in case I violate any copyright laws.

Content --- Last but definitely not least, is the actual content. It's your blog, write whatever you want. But if you want other people to read it too, then make it interesting.

----

I also did a post on: 3 Things I Don't Like About Your Blog.
Once again, I'm no expert, this tips are just from my observation of blogs. Please comment below with any more ideas, I could use them!

P.S. I really applaud bloggers who still post regularly and don't ditch their blog every few months. I struggle with this a lot, clearly.

21 comments:

  1. ^_^ I'm glad you got around to this. I have a point about proofreading:
    I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but no matter how many times I proofread, it's not until after I posted 'til I notice a million little mistakes. I think it's because at some point, in the writing + editing process, I just start seeing what I expect to see, and that's... not mistakes. I CAN'T HELP IT ='_'= Is this just me?

    But other than that, your advice makes sense. I'm also liable to writing the occasional never-ending post, with no pictures at times too, but you know, c'est la vie...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes that happens to me too! No matter what, I always have to go back and edit the post after publishing it :P

      Delete
  2. Awesome points! This is certainly going to be really helpful for people who are just setting foot in the blogging world. I also have the same problem as Laila N Mysis, I only spot mistakes AFTER I have published my post, regardless of the million proof-reads I do before.

    We really need a tutorial to blog regularly LOL. I can't seem to spew out fun and original content every few days like I used to in the past.

    Take care :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you think its helpful :)

      Hahaha yeah, a tutorial on blogging regularly would be very helpful :P

      You take care too ^_^

      Delete
  3. This is great. This is allllll soooooooooooo true. I really, really like this post. I need to post a lot more often than I do LOL. I'm trying to post more but then I just get distracted.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it :)
      Haha, yeah it's SO easy to get distracted and forget about blogging :P

      Delete
  4. Really good post. :)
    I too have a problem with pictures from the net. I think that I will click a photo for a post and then I forget everything about it and it goes without a photo.
    Following you too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thesaurus helps also to bring more flare to the contents. Nice blog btw!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That’s some practical and useful tips thanks…
    One must always look for ways n means to make blogging catchy n captivating..

    Just passing by

    ReplyDelete
  7. Extremely helpful for new comers.
    I can not agree more!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the basic things that are so important. I understand about proofreading. When we read our own stuff we become word blind. A strategy I use is to read out loud what I've written. That seems to help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think these are really great tips! Plus I think the most important thing is to make it "you".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ....and looking at your other post..yeah the whole captcha thing is a piss-off. (even though some of my favourite blogs have it).. have a tedious process to go through each time especially when you mess up a lot

      Delete
    2. Yeah captcha is super tedious, and I'm glad you like the tips :D

      Delete
  10. I keep thinking about writing all these things because I receive emails from people asking how to blog well, but I am afraid I will offend my readers if I write something like that. Glad you wrote this. We could all learn something from this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should go ahead and write them! :)

      Delete