Thursday, September 5, 2013

Reading list for quote-lovers.

Everyone has their own preferred genres when it comes to reading fiction. Whether you like fantasy, romance, classics, science fiction or even fan fiction, a book is likely to draw your attention if it’s full of memorable quotes. So if you like to marvel at the words of an author, here are five books you should definitely read before the year ends:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/3/32/Rye_catcher.jpg/200px-Rye_catcher.jpg 
Catcher in the Rye by J. D. Salinger
This is a unique classic about a boy named Holden Caulfield and his three day journey on the streets of New York after leaving his prep school in Pennsylvania.
Upon hearing this book is a classic, I was expecting something like Jane Austen or Charles Dickens, but this author's style was very different. From what I've heard, people either love this book or think it's over-rated. I loved it!
“Don't ever tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.”
File:The Fault in Our Stars.jpg 
2. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
This novel is about Hazel, a cancer patient, whose story changes after she meets a certain someone at the Cancer Kid Support Group. Read my first review of the book here. I basically said it was very sad and beautiful but didn't make me cry and I took ages to finish reading. Nevertheless it was one of the most well-written books I've read and of course, highly quotable.
“As he read, I fell in love the way you fall asleep: slowly, and then all at once.”
LookingForAlaska-cover.jpg 
3. Looking for Alaska by John Green
One of my favourite novels, it's about Miles, a sheltered boy obsessed with last words of famous people who is looking for his 'Great Perhaps' in life. He heads off to Culver Creek Boarding School and there he meets the gorgeous Alaska Young and his journey is changed forever.
“Thomas Edison's last words were 'It's very beautiful over there'. I don't know where there is, but I believe it's somewhere, and I hope it's beautiful.”
Cover 

4. Extremely Loud Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer
I can't say much here. This novel is full of quotes like the one below and it's definitely worth reading!

“I like to see people reunited, I like to see people run to each other, I like the kissing and the crying, I like the impatience, the stories that the mouth can't tell fast enough, the ears that aren't big enough, the eyes that can't take in all of the change, I like the hugging, the bringing together, the end of missing someone.”

Perksofbeingwallflower1.jpg5. The Perks of Being a Wallflower- Stephen Chbosky
The coming-of-age story of an intelligent and socially awkward boy named Charlie. He has spent his life living on the sidelines, but after he makes some new friends, he begins to see what it is like to actually live in the world, instead of just observing it. The author's narration of Charlie's experiences is remarkable and this is another one of my favourites.
“So, this is my life. And I want you to know that I am both happy and sad and I'm still trying to figure out how that could be.”


Read any books lately that should be on this list? Let me know!
All book cover images are from Wikipedia.

----
Blog under renovation :)
I thought it was time for a change, still working on it!

32 comments:

  1. I LOVE THE NEW LOOK OF YOUR BLOG! AMAZING! ♥

    And I haven't read any of these books... *ashamed face* But I've been meaning to read Catcher In the Rye since forever. I'll surely read it soon, thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you like it :D

      You should definitely read it!

      Delete
  2. Second Furree: j'adore the new look ^_^

    And I'm proud to have read three out of five of these books. Erm, I wasn't really that fond of Looking for Alaska, I thought Paper Towns was better. But even so, I reckon it had great quotes anyway :)

    Those two are going on the to-read, thank you very much :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks!

      Oooh I see, I like Paper Towns, but for some reason I just loved Looking for Alaska.

      You're very welcome :P

      Delete
  3. I just got "The perks of being a wallflower" and gonna check it out as soon as I finish "The witcher series".
    Honestly, I didn't get "The catcher in the rye" :D I'm one of those people who think it's overrated I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool :)
      Hahaha, yeah a lot of people think it's overrated.

      Delete
  4. Wowza, renovation indeed =P
    I'm interested in reading "Extremely loud incredibly close" =D
    Shoot, what was the last book I finished reading D:
    I think it was actually perks of being a wallflower...
    Wait... or was it another book during the holidays D:
    gah.
    I'm still slooooooowly progressing through my copy of the book thief.
    Only on page 49 at the moment.
    I really should finish it before the movie comes out D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I was getting sick of all the purple :P

      Yesss, please read it!

      I didn't know you're reading The Book Thief, it's also on my never-ending to-read list :P

      Delete
  5. From your list I have only read Catcher in the Rye... I loved it too. Thank you for your sweet comments on my blog! New follower here too!
    Blessings, Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha glad to know someone else liked it too :)

      Delete
  6. OMG THE NEW LOOK OF YOUR BLOG IS AWESOME. :D Totally love it. :) I am a quote lover. The last four books are already in my list to buy. Now I have added the first one too.

    ps: AGAIN YOUR BLOG LOOKS AWESOME. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I love it too :D
      And enjoy reading those books!

      Delete
  7. It has been so long. I thought that you had stopped blogging. I am so glad that you are back and that too with a great new look.

    Some of the books you mentioned are my sister's favorites. They have been on the shelf for so long but I don't know why I am always so anti to reading slice of life. I might be missing on some great pieces of writing. Gah... are there any good light novels without those depressing endings???

    Reading your blog always reminds me that I have yet to read so many things.

    Keep blogging!!! :)

    P.S. Is that you in the profile picture? If yes then this compliment is for you -you look very cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes I guesses I needed a break from blogging.

      I'm the opposite of you, I prefer reading about real life than stuff like fantasy :P

      Haha yup that's me and thank you :)

      Delete
  8. i cried like a baby with the fault in our stars :( maybe cos i was moved and it was relate-able. and i also like the perks of being a wallflower! i have yet to read the others in the list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha.. alright, hope you like the rest of the books too! :)

      Delete
  9. I've read the first three. I like John Green's novels but i never understood the big deal with Catcher. Maybe I'm too different from Holden or something but even when I watched John Green's literary discussion of it I just don't get it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't watched John's literary discussion of it, I should check that out!
      I guess it's just book of those books that people either think it's great or just think it's overrated.

      Delete
  10. Replies
    1. Ah I see, almost everyone I've talked to about it feels that way!

      Delete
  11. I haven't read catcher yet (yes, boo me) but I think it's pretty interesting. I am actually more of a fantasy/horror type, but I guess I should hit these books as well! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I was never really into fantasy and horror. Yes you should check these out!

      Delete
  12. I haven't had time to read any books lately so I can't recommend any, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your new template's nice; your picture's cute plus this post made me blog back again.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really wanna read the 2nd n 3rd one ! Saw The Perks of Being a Wallflower movie, It was great :D
    xoxo <3

    www.littlemisssinner.com
    www.youtube.com/MsShanayaSinner

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've finished reading Fault in Our Stars, and I was so sad, this is one of the two books that made me tear up. The other was the book where Dumbledore died

    ReplyDelete
  16. Totally agree with you! Love these books. The only one left on this list, for me, is Extremely Loud Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer.

    Nice blog, too! :)

    ReplyDelete