Sunday, September 22, 2013

Blogging Tips: How to get more followers.

I'm no expert blogger, but I thought I would share the little that I do know about blogging. So I'm writing a few posts on blogging tips, this first one is about how to get more followers. Hitting 200+ followers has not been easy. Some bloggers get followers easily and others struggle a lot. It actually took me two years to get to 200!

Google Friend Connect. 
On Blogger, most people follow your blog through GFC. So make sure you have a GFC widget on your blog and that it is easily accessible. Place it somewhere on your sidebar where it will be easy to spot so people don't have to scroll and search too much to find out how to follow your blog. I often don't follow blogs because I can't be bothered to look for the GFC widget. Sometimes, they don't have one in the first place, and I try not to follow through email because it can clutter my inbox. So having a GFC widget is a must.

Keep your blog open to public.
This way, more people will have access to it. It's very tedious when we have to sign in to our Google accounts just to view a blog. So if you don't have any particular reason to keep your blog private or only open to invited readers, just keep it public so you can gain more followers. People might even find your blog while browsing around the internet, and if it has what they're looking for, they might follow you.

Bloglovin'.
I recently claimed my blog on Bloglovin'. It's a very useful site for bloggers and for people who like to read blogs. It's a great platform for exploring new blogs so who knows, someone might stumble upon yours and decide to follow it.

Social networking sites.
You can share your new posts on Facebook or Twitter etc., so your friends will know about your blog and if they're interested, they will follow you. You can even make a page on Facebook for your blog where you can share your posts so people will be up to date with your posts.

Blog-walking.
This is probably the most important tip. Visit other blogs, follow them if you like the content, comment on their posts and request for them to check out your blog.
Don't just go for the 'follow for follow' thing because there's no point in having a high number of followers if those people are not actually interested in reading your content or commenting on your posts.
Blog-walking is all about finding blogs that interest you and making connections with the bloggers.

Write good content so you can keep those followers.
More on this on my next blogger tips post!

---

I hope this helped :)
If you have any more tips on gaining followers, please share them in the comments!
Also, let me know if you want me to give blogger tips on anything.

20 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tips :D, I think might try bloglovin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing as I am once again starting from scratch I shall definitely take your advice :p thanks for the post

    http://smartestthingsheeversaid.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. GFC is a must. Keeping your blog public is a good option too but I have only reserved it to the bloggers. I mean its not visible on google and search engines. I find it scary to make it public. :/
    I am also thinking to join bloglovin. I used to share my posts, now I just don't. I think I ll start sharing them again. I don't know why I just want to keep my blog private.
    and BLOG WALKING, YAY! That's what I do as well although I am just active for like around three months. and its really important to maintain a good healthy relationship with the blogger. For me, I don't really crave for a whole lot of followers who are not a least interested in what you write but in a few followers aka friends who are genuinely interested. What do you think? and I am here to make friends and share experiences. Awesome tips. A newbie can really count on these.

    PS: I wont mind lots of followers though :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if I posted more about my personal life on here I wouldn't keep it private too.

      Hmm.. yeah I agree, I would rather have followers who actually want to read my stuff instead of just people who are following for the sake of it.

      Thanks for the comment :D

      Delete
  4. 2 years, 200 followers? With an exclamation mark to indicate surprise? Come on, sister, this is my third year, and I'm in the 20s. Acknowledge your awesome. Own it. Mentally, at least.

    Although, to be fair, I did not start out seeking followers, and I'm probably not going to try for more until the end of this year, once I'm done with school. And when I get around to it, I'll definitely keep this stuff in mind ('specially the upcoming post ^_^ )

    Thanks for this :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... thank you for that :P
      Yup exactly, I think it all depends on what you blog about, if you blog about your life and stuff you wouldn't want loads of strangers reading about it.

      No problem :)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for the tips! ♥ And congrats on your 200+ followers!! :) You are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm good with the number of followers I have so far.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I would be good too if I had as many as you :P

      Delete
  7. OMG, I have almost the exact same post saved up in my drafts (blogging tips etc). I had written it ages ago but felt that perhaps people would think I'm trying to boss them around, so I didn't publish it. This postlooks pretty good and helpful on your blog, so I might publish mine (but of course, much later - or maybe I'll just keep it in my drafts LOL)!

    Your post will surely be helpful for all the newbies on Blogger. If anyone asks me for help, I'll just send them your way :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha, that's what I thought too, that people will think I'm being all snotty by posting this but then I was like what the heck, it's a good idea so might as well do it :P

      You should publish you're too :)
      And thanks!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are really useful tips! Maybe I should go and sign up for bloglovin.
    I hope I'd be able to expand to a larger scale of readers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the tips. I'm glad my blog walkin' took me over to you!

    ReplyDelete