Thursday, August 15, 2013

The difference between Tumblr and Blogger.


Logo Blogger
Source: Wikipedia
I see why people would compare Tumblr and Blogger since they are both blogging sites, but as someone who loves and uses both, I believe they serve very different purposes. I felt like writing this post after noticing several bloggers on here actually leaving Blogger for Tumblr, which honestly doesn't make any sense to me.

Blogger is a place for you to write blog posts about your ideas and thoughts regularly. You can blog for the world or keep your blog private with limited viewers as a personal journal. Blogger includes images but it is mainly based on text posts.On the other hand, Tumblr is mainly photo based and it's more like a social networking site which allows us to share or reblog photos, quotes, videos etc.

File:Tumblrfull.svg
Source: Wikipedia
Using tumblr is one of my favourite ways to pass time when I want to take a break and relax. Using blogger takes more effort because I actually need to think about what I'm going to write and post. Also, looking at other people's Tumblr is easy, since it's mainly photos and gifs, but reading through someone's Blogger takes a lot more effort as you need to read an entire post and comment instead of just scrolling through images.

I love both of these blogging sites, but for very different reasons. I don't think I would ever leave one for the other. What do you guys think about this?
Also, a lot of people say WordPress is better than all these blogging sites, does anyone know why that is?

--- 
“there are days that walk through me

and i cannot hold them.”
– Katherine Larson, “The Gardens in Tunisia”

27 comments:

  1. They say that Tumblr lets you more control of the blog so it is usually suited for advanced users.

    I prefer blogger to tumblr, because I don't usually post pictures. I'm not an Instagram fan either. As for wordpress, I think the dashboard has lots of things, so I prefer Blogger dashboard; it's neater.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh right, thanks for your input :)
      I actually think that blogger, tumblr and instagram are used for very different purposes.

      Delete
  2. glad you're back! :) I miss blogs that I used to read a year ago. A lot of bloggers have stopped blogging since then. :(

    I don't really see tumblr as a blog either. And guess what, google doesn't too. So if you want to blog about product reviews and stuff that you want google to find(like what I do) better stick with blogger. On the other hand, if you already have a large social media following, then I guess it's ok to blog in tumblr.

    I'm in tumblr too. My photoblog is in tumblr. I post pictures of cats. And I love being emo there. hahahah

    A Hint of Sunlight
    my tumblr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah a lot of bloggers have left :(

      Yup, I love tumblr but it's not for reviews and such. Hahaha, I shall follow you on there now :D

      Delete
  3. Ermahgerd I'm glad you're back! I was getting worried. :)

    I have a new blog now, mind if you check it out and post some critique?

    Utterly Cynful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. Yup sure I'll check it out soon :)

      Delete
  4. wow you're back :)

    orange is happy for purple ^_^ btw, blogger, for me, still is better. i tried tumblr but i don't know how to start it so i did not continue developing it. i haven't tried wordpress, too, so i stick with blogger. it's where i'm comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha.
      Yeah I had no idea how to use tumblr when I first started, now I'm addicted!

      Delete
  5. Point well-made! :D

    Well, here's the explanation I give everybody:

    Blogger is a Blog for Words.
    Tumblr is a Blog for Pictures.

    Hey, what's your Tumbkr URL?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That explanation is perfect :)
      My tumblr:
      www.insomniastrikes.tumblr.com

      Delete
  6. Nice post.. Even I can't leave blogger for tumblr.. Both are different and good in there own ways.. It's really difficult to compare both.. New to your blog.. Following you..keep writing..!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello darling! I like both sites too :) Tumblr is like being so many people, and blogger always seem so silent and peaceful. Both keeps me sane actually :)

    p.s. I miss you too sweetness!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't actually have a tumblr, but I happily keep up with others. I agree with the 'more effort' thing, bt I like my effort on the blogosphere. If I made my own pictures, I might consider taking up tumblr... but for now I'll just be a silent observer (: I HOPE you live up to your apparent return x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds good :)
      Hahaha, I hope so too :P

      Delete
  9. I guess I left blogger because I was kinda sick of blogging. Tumblr requires far far less effort. Also, a lot of my fellow bloggers(people who I started blogging with and people I used to follow) stopped blogging as well, so that sorta lowered my motivation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree, Blogger seems to be the one where you could spill it all out, while tumblr is a place where you could post things that you are willing to share (reblogs). It's kinda sad to see ppl go from blogger though.

    BTW, I've sent you the books already. Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is so funny that so many blogger have been doing the same exact thing, but it's good that many of us are starting blogging again at the same time. : )
    But I am totally with you! Tumblr is just so easy and straight-forward. When posting on Blogspot you have to think through your post, revise and edit it, then hope for the best. You summed up my inner conflict very well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I've noticed that too, a lot of people have started blogging again these days!
      Yeah exactly :)

      Delete
  12. Hi! :D Glad you're back!

    I can't understand Tumblr. I'm too accustomed to Blogspot (and more recently, Twitter). I can't handle another website LOL.

    Wordpress isn't that great, it's not got a lot of features, I guess boring people prefer it over Blogspot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello :D
      Hahaha, I'm very aware of your obsession with Twitter :P

      Delete