Tuesday, June 26, 2012

PurpleMist's Life Update #1

Cupcakes make me happy.

So, as some of you may know, I'm on a pretty long holiday at the moment. 10 months, to be exact. I know it sounds like a lot but this year has passed by SO fast! I only have 3 more months until my university course starts.


The thing about having so much free time is that you're always going to worry that you're wasting it. I had a pretty long holiday two years ago and at the end of it, I regretted not doing more things during the free time that I had. The only things I did during those school-free 6 months were that I started this blog and participated in NaNoWriMo.



During this holiday, I've been trying to do as much as I can, but I still get lazy and end up wasting hours on the internet almost everyday every now and then. I want to do things worth mentioning and so far I have:
- got my driving license
- joined a volunteer program
- watched way too many movies and tv shows
- became an editor for a young writer on wattpad
- met a LOT of new people
- read some amazing books
- became part of an online writing team


I think I'm quite happy with the things I've been doing but there was a lot more stuff I wish I had done. Like, I wanted to learn photoshop and work on my novel regularly (sort out the plot, write a second draft and clear things up so when people ask me what it is about, I actually have an answer!).


Most of you don't know this but it was my birthday a few weeks ago, on the 7th of June. I was supposed to publish this post somewhere around that time but it took longer than I expected. Yes, I procrastinate THAT much.
Anyways, my brother (it happens to be HIS birthday today!) gave me an awesome birthday gift, these two books:
I had been dying to read Mitch Albom's books because a friend of mine had told me so much about them. I completed 'tuesdays with Morrie' a few days ago and gosh, I honestly think every one should read this book. And if reading isn't your thing, then watch the movie!
I can't wait to read 'the five people you meet in heaven' next.



Speaking on books and reading, I'm going to be part of a book blog tour next month. Not sure how these things work because it's my first time but I've been given a copy of the ebook which I haven't started reading yet. It's a collection of short stories by multiple authors. I will be reviewing it on this blog soon and the awesome part is that I get to interview one of the authors!


----

To the person who sent an email asking me to do a life update post: thank you! I was getting lazy running out of ideas so your suggestion got me writing.
I'm not really sure what to write about in a life update post so I just ranted on about all the stuff I've been doing.


I love getting emails from followers, it still amazes me that people actually go out of their way to talk to me via email, you guys totally make my day :D

I have SO many blogs to catch up on, sorry I haven't been reading/commenting, I'll get to it asap!

----

I have so much to tell you, the problem isn’t that I’m running out of time, I’m running out of room, this book is filling up, there couldn’t be enough pages, I looked around the apartment this morning for one last time and there was writing everywhere, filling the walls and mirrors, I rolled up the rugs so I could write on the floors, I’d written on the windows and around the bottles of wine we were given but never drank, I only wore short sleeves, even when it’s cold, because my arms are books too. But there’s too much to express. I’m sorry. -Jonathan Safran Foer
----
I need this.


53 comments:

  1. Holidays are never enough no matter how long they are. It's always fun to read your posts and I always end up salivating seeing those cupcakes.
    Enjoy~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated birthday! :) I've been out of work a year now and I don't miss it one bit. Have fun on your book tour!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what, i always thought you were a Pakistani. Bleh. Anyways, i am glad that you are back. I waste my vacations too. And woah, you are lucky to have a brother who gifts you books. I iz jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I am!
      Well, I chose the books I wanted and he was there so he said he'll pay for them as a gift :P

      Delete
  4. Well it's nice to see you back :) I barely ever get emails at all from readers myself actually :( You've managed to do quite a lot in your time, so try not to worry about it. Time spent having fun isn't wasted :)

    A belated happy birthday too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I mainly get emails because I'm not THAT active on blogger.
      Mhmm, I need to put that in my head!
      Thanks :)

      Delete
  5. Aww happy belated birthday!

    And tbh, passing your driving test is something to be incredibly proud of and well worth your time! I'm like you in that I have a lot of free time, four months to be exact but I've only got two left and it scares me how fast the time is going in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :D

      Yess definitely!
      And yeah time passes by way too fast when we have holidays :/

      Delete
  6. Glad you're back! And if I got a ten month holiday, I think I'd internally combust from excitement!

    ReplyDelete
  7. haha atleast you're being pretty productive with your holiday life =)
    I would have just sat there and youtubed all day =P
    So many cupcakes @-@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah I guess so.
      Hahaha, actually you DID sit there and youtube all day last year :P

      Delete
  8. Happy Belated Birthday first of all :D Wish you many moree :)
    You at least have a list to feel worth posting of the things you've been doing in your holidays. And all of them looks productive! :P
    Wow, you're writing a book?! I have a dream, like a HUGE dream, to make my own book but somehow, I get a little wobbly in the plot. I want to know aaaaaalll about it, will you do a post about it soon, or sometime? Those books looks awesome, I'm gonna check if there's online read of them :P
    Your posts are very fun reading.
    Stay blessed. xx (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, and I got to comment on yours!!!! Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay :D

      Delete
    2. Thank you! :)
      haha yeah I guess I have been kind of productive, but I just feel like there are still SO many things I can and want to do!

      Haha yup, I started working on a novel like 2 years ago. But it's not going well these days, I just stopped writing it for now :P but if I do figure it out then I'll definitely write a post about it!

      Haha good luck finding them because it's SO much harder to find books online after ACTA and all :/

      Delete
  9. That's some productive days you've had. Ask a person who's just gone from day to day for over a month doing nothing and you'll realise you haven't wasted time at all. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  10. hello! you're back and i'm back too!
    i love the cupcake picture in the beginning of the post. yum.

    WOW, you've done so much stuff this summer. :O congrats on getting your driving license. i'm jealous of how productive you are being. i haven't done much yet :(

    i've heard of the five people you meet in heaven but never considered reading it till now. since you have a favourable opinion of the other book by the same author, i guess i'll have to give it a try :D

    ♥ *hugs* i'm glad to finally be reading your blog again! i missed you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi!
      YES, cupcakes are the best.

      Thanks, and I'm sure you'll start being productive soon, you still have time :D

      Yes yes yes, read it!
      I'm going to read it soon too, can't wait :D

      Missed you too, I was so excited when I saw you updated :P

      Delete
  11. Many happy returns for getting older.... gah, I have a dislike of birthdays and it tends to niggle its way into when I try to greet others. I wish you well, though, sincerely ^^

    And you're certainly achieving more than I've ever achieved. Although, to be fair, it never occurred to me to try and achieve better things until like last year, and since then I honestly haven't had the opportunity. But all your writing/bookish things sound so exciting!

    But but but THE FREAKIEST thing is that I've been quoting Mitch Albom/Jonathon Safran Foer a LOT recently for school, and for some reason it never occurred to me to actually check out their books or whatever o.O Wow. Once again, you've motivated me, will attempt to when I get the chance x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, yeah I can be bitter about birthdays too, but thanks! :)
      Well then as soon as you have the opportunity, DO STUFF!

      hahaha woah, that IS pretty freakily coincidental. I think it's a sign you should read his books ;)

      Delete
  12. Sometimes we just need a holiday that is somewhat unproductive. It's good for the soul to just relax :) and I enjoyed both of those books! The author came to my university a while back and he was such a nice guy.

    Oh p.s happy belated bday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, but an 8 month unproductive holiday is not such a good idea :P But yeah I know what you mean!

      Omg, seriously? That's awesome, I would have loved to meet him!

      Thanks for the wish :)

      Delete
  13. Well hello there, The cupcake picture at the top of your post got me all attracted towards your blog. I love cupcakes. KThanksBye. :D
    p.s. your blog is so pretty. =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I love cupcakes too.
      Thanks :)

      Delete
  14. that chocolate looks amazing! I really want to read/see Tuesdays with Morrie. I've heard it's excellent from so many people. thanks for reminding me! :)
    Juliet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesss, you should definitely read or watch Tuesdays with Morrie :D

      Delete
  15. cupcakes makes me happy too. :)

    Wow you do have a lot of free time. And I agree with you. I do think you've accomplished enough for the last few months. :) 3 months is still a long time. How do you plan to spend it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I guess so. I have no idea! My sister is visiting so spending most of my time with family :)

      Delete
  16. Cupcakes, Tuesdays with Morrie, some of my favourrrrite stuff. =D
    I didn't like the Five People you meet in Heaven, honestly. I couldn't figure out how a couple of people the protagonists meet outweigh the importance of a lot of other characters, but then again, everybody has their own idea of Heaven.
    And I LOVE the Jonathan Foer quote. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Hmm, well I'm like half way through it and it's... interesting! I like it so far :D
      I LOVE the quote too. It's so stunning. Yes, I just described a quote as 'stunning' :P

      Delete
  17. You have been tagged for the Leibster Blog Award by me!
    http://writtenpaintings.blogspot.ca/2012/07/liebster-blog.html#comment-form

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow... 10 months holidays... and the remaining two months should be spent to prep for these :) have a nice time...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I never wanted anything so bad! A holiday this long? :)
    You go pal ;)
    I do not know you personally, but i'm content with reading about you and your ideas :)
    This is the first time i read any of your posts. I like your style ;)

    Please view my blog :)
    http://afshanhussain.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yeah, having such a long holiday is pretty awesome :P
      Thanks!
      I'll check out your blog now!

      Delete
  20. Wow. You lucky girl you! I took a 6 months break before Uni and spent a lot of that time just reading and writing. Time well spent I say. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds like you've had a lot to do and read during those few months. Maybe have another post sometime to let us know what you've been up to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, will do Life Update in a few months time!
      I like the idea of showing how different my life is in each update I post on here.

      Delete
  22. Noways,such a long holiday?! You go girl :D
    The post was amazing,and I`m so jealous -.- All that talk about books just made me realize that I`ve seriously ran out run out of books to read. The Morrie books sounds good...I`ll definitely give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. How can you run out of books to read?! My to-read list is endless :P
      Hope you like Tuesdays With Morrie :)

      Delete
  23. Hahaha, being lazy and unproductive is not that bad. When you stop feeling bad you're wasting your time surfing on the net and start enjoying it instead, it's not a waste! That book blog tour sounds veery interesting! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha yeah :P
      I missed the date for the book blog tour :/
      But i'll be writing a review anyways!

      Delete