Monday, June 4, 2012

Mini Reviews: Books & Movies :)


I liked this book better than I thought I would. At first, some of the characters pissed me off with the silly things they did and the stupid decisions they made. But as I read further into the story, I got more intrigued by how complex the plot really was and I loved how the author dealt with the issue of self-esteem amongst teenage girls.
“No matter where you go or what you do to distract yourself, reality catches up with you eventually.” 



Forget You by Jennifer Echols

Despite the fact that I was pretty much hooked after reading the first few pages and finished it in a couple of hours, I wouldn't recommend this book. Zoey's character made me want to pull my hair out and I didn't like most of the other characters because they were too one-dimensional, specially her father. This novel is character-driven so I wish it had better characters and personalities.
"I understand I can’t have you. But I want to know you’re in the world with me.”

Fractured Light by Rachel McClellan 

I almost never read fantasy novels because I prefer to read about real life and not some made up fantasy world. So I didn't think I would like this book, but I found myself actually enjoying it and completed in a few days time. There were some plot problems but overall it was a good read and I'm looking forward to reading the sequel. (I'll be writing a proper review of this book later.)

“When it comes to matters of the heart, rules don't matter.” 


----------------------------

I wanted to watch this movie for two reasons:
1) I heard it's hilarious and 2) Channing Tatum is in it. 
And guess what? I loved it! I was actually laughing out loud, which doesn't happen very often during movies. I wouldn't even mind watching it again.



Honestly, the only reason I wanted to watch this movie was because the male lead was Ed Westwick (he plays Chuck Bass in Gossip Girl). It was a fun movie, not exactly as chick flick-y as I expected it to be. The actors played their roles perfectly and the story line was great. And of course, all the English accents were very attractive.


This movie was amazing. Very unique storyline and the directing  was wonderful. Jim Carrey and Kate Winslet played their roles perfectly and I fell in love with their characters just a few minutes into the movie. I still don't really know how to describe it, it was just different from anything I've ever watched, but in a good way. It showed how fragile relationships can be and how difficult it really is to run away from memories, specially the good ones. 
Makes me think of this quote by Maya Angelou:
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” 



I didn't want to make this post too long by adding summaries, so just click on the titles to read more about the books and movies!
If you have watched/read any of these, share your opinions please :)

35 comments:

  1. I want to see 21 Jump Street too but I'm a little hesitant to. I fear I'll hate it because I used to watch and adore the 21 Jump Street series with Johnny Depp in them, and I'm afraid this movie will be a complete and utter bad rip-off from that show.

    As for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, I absolutely loved that one. LOVED, LOVED, LOVED it. It made me realize that we should be grateful for our memories and hang on to them, no matter how much we end up disliking the person we've made those memories with. Because in the end we wouldn't want to lose the whole (memory of the) experience of being with someone.

    ***SPOILER***

    I also loved the ending, where they both decide to give it another go even though they know they were going to end up hating each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh right, I never watched the series so I didn't have that problem. But you should definitely watch it! Just try to see it separately, something that is un-related to the series.
      Because the movie on it's own is really good :)

      Yayyy, glad i'm not the only one who enjoyed it this much :D
      And YES omg, the ending was brilliant!
      I loved what Mary did.

      Delete
  2. I haven't read or watched any of those, but Fractured Light sounds good. I am quite a fantasy buff, so I have no qualms with reading a good fantasy book :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you should definitely read Fractured Light!
      :D

      Delete
  3. Haven't been on your blog for SO LONG! Whattay shame. x|
    I reallly want to read DUFF. I think I read about it somewhere else too. LOL I hate books that piss me off. Such a waste of time. :P

    Gonna stalk your blog for the movie spree I'll be getting into after exams. Two words: CAN'T. WAIT.

    Love ya! :*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes yes, read it!!
      I think you'll like it :D

      Haha, movie marathons are the best!
      I've been watching a movie almost every day for the past few days :P (yes I have THAT much free time).

      Delete
    2. Hahahaha. You completed your A'Levels in ONE year WITH Art. I think free time is good compensation. :P

      Delete
    3. LOL so true, I totally deserve this :P

      Delete
  4. great review on the books and i want to see 21 jump street but afraid I'll compare it to the TV show

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like I said to Sabrina, try to think of it separately, the movie on it's own it great, so watch it :D

      Delete
  5. I've just finished reading the DUFF last week and I can't agree more! I hated Bianca's character but I adored Casey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I don't think I hated Bianca even though she did some stupid things, I actually kind of liked her. I didn't like Casey that much.
      It was a good read :)

      Delete
  6. Read none, watched none, heard of one... I'm feeling very clueless right now o.o But I do like how you reason out why you dislike something, rather than screaming out how much you hate it incoherently... something I try not to do but end up doing anyway x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, those books aren't really THAT popular and same with most of the movies :P
      Hahaha, thanks, I try to be as reasonable as I can :D

      Delete
  7. I like how I've never heard of any of these movies are books =P
    (well ok more like hvn't watched or read)
    And thn that reminds me of how much time you hv on your hands and how little I have D=
    But me likey this format. I can get a gist of what all of them are about and the like "special reasons" to each.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, you don't have time to read and watch these :/ :P

      Delete
  8. Eternal Sunshine is amazing! Very very moving :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't read any of those books so I guess I need to add them to my To be read list! I have watched Chalet girl and really enjoyed it, it was very funny!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, please do!
      Haha, yeah Chalet Girl was nice :)

      Delete
  10. I've read DUFF. It's an awesome book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I haven't read any of those, but I will surely get around to it. I read like, non-stop. Its actually pretty bad, like almost obsessive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, obsessive reading is not a bad thing in my opinion :D

      Delete
  12. I've read DUFF too! I liked how the book goes into issues like self esteem.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a great post! I gave you some awards at my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My tastes are quite the opposite from yours when it comes to reading novels. I prefer action fantasy novels and I dislike stories based on real life. I don't understand what's the point of reading about things that I see everywhere in day to day life. But I have nothing on you or others who like slice of life stories. It's just my personal preference. :)
    I also like mystery novels. My favorite book of all times is Sherlock Holmes.

    I want to thank you for visiting my blog and leaving kind words. After I returned I was happy to see you and others welcoming me so affectionately. ❀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah I can see why you wouldn't want to read about real life :P Mystery novels are great too! I haven't read Sherlock Holmes but I used to read a LOT of Agatha Christie novels!

      And you're welcome :)

      Delete
  15. I was about to get a copy of "Forget You" by Echols last week, but decided to go for a few classics instead. Great review! I followed your blog too! :)

    iranoutofink.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it's good you didn't buy it!
      Thanks :D

      Delete
  16. I guess I didn't really know what 21 Jump Street was about. I kind of thought it was a serious remake of the 80s tv show. I am going to check it out for sure. Eternal Sunshine is one my favorites as well.

    +followed

    longdayhotshower.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, you shoudl check it out and thanks for following! :)

      Delete
  17. Eternal sunshine of the spotless mind is the movie of the UNIVERSE! I LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete