Thursday, May 10, 2012

Nostalgia & Cookies.


I remember the most random things from my childhood. Most of them are not anything significant so I don't know why these moments have stuck with me. And when I try to recall them, all these little snippets of my life pass through my head like a fast forwarded video.
For instance, I remember a lot of things from the day my grandfather passed away. It was 10 years ago so I was around 7 or 8 years old back then.

My cousins and I were fooling around in the car on our way back from school. We didn't know what had happened until we actually got home.
The shirt I wore that day: it was a dull lime green colour with a little pattern shaped like a sun in the middle. I think I remember it because I felt like I should be wearing white like everyone else, since it was a funeral.
Sitting in my parents' room with some of my siblings and cousins. I was flipping through a KFC calendar, trying to distract myself.
I also remember seeing him for the last time.

Then there are those moments which I'm not sure whether they actually happened or if I was just dreaming. Like once I was travelling by bus overnight. We were on the highway and I woke up to look out the window and see where we were. 

I looked up and gosh... I was mesmerised. It was dark, obviously, but the sky was lit up by a cluster of little dotted stars. And there were SO MANY of them. I had never seen something like that and I even remember taking out my glasses from my bag to look at it more clearly. 

It was just so beautiful. And maybe that's why I think I might have dreamt it. I'm pretty certain it actually happened but I can't be sure since I was half asleep and I don't have any proof. I wish I had taken a photo of it or at least woken my sister up (who was sleeping in the seat beside me) to share it with her so I would have some sort of evidence that it was real. But I didn't and all I have is the memory of that scenery. I don't think I'll ever forget it. Honestly I'm not even exaggerating, it was the most magnificent thing I have ever seen. 

P.S. I love pandas.

---

A long time ago, I wrote a post called The Book That Changed My Life. I talked about the book Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson. And guess what? The author read it! 
Receiving this message on Tumblr totally made my day:


---

Someone please bake these for me!
I get really bad cravings after midnight.




48 comments:

  1. That's awesome you got that message :) I remember what I was doing when I heard my grandmother died. I was playing video games, and my mum called me downstairs. She told me what had happened, and I didn't really know how to react. I was too young to understand death really, and I don't think I was all that close to my grandmother. I just went back upstairs and played my games some more. Looking back though, I know she was a very kind and sweet old lady, and I loved her a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I can relate to that. When I found out about my grandfather I didn't really know how to react either, hence the flipping KFC calendar pages to pass time :P

      Delete
  2. I also have precise memories of certain instances of my life from way back.
    That must be an amazing sight to see stars lined up like that. *imagining*

    It's great to hear a word from the author of a novel you liked. Must be a happy surprise.
    Cookies! Now I want them too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to know I'm not the only one :)
      Yes, I was so shocked and happy when I saw that message!

      Delete
  3. GOSH. I just read that review, and because you didn't spoil the ending, I wanna read it now :D I'm so jealous you got a response like that! ^^

    My childhood memories ... I have this weird thing where I seem to remember the 'lighting' of the memory... like, if it was dark or bright or what. But I mean, that's not the only thing I remember, of course x)

    And because I'm evil, if I really were to bake those, I'd eat them all myself >:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yes you should definitely read Wintergirls.

      Ooooh that is so cool!

      LOL, I think I would do that too, they're too good to share :P

      Delete
  4. I too have memories from long back, which are not significant & I wonder why. Also can I have a cookie pls? :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I totally know what you mean about the thing where you remember the RANDOMMEST details about your childhood! Happens to me all the time! :O

    ReplyDelete
  6. now all i want are cookies and milk... it is strange how some tiny memories stick around forever...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it is strange, specially when those memories are not of anything significant.

      Delete
  7. Hello! I just came across your wonderful blog and was wondering if we could follow each other on Blogger (via GFC) and Twitter? Take care. :)

    Kristina (pink-sequins@blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! It's really great to hear from your favorite author! I also have random glimpses of my childhood back then and I don't know why they keep on recurring! I always happen to recall the same sets of events! Hmmmm, maybe that has something to do with my life now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I seem to recall the same events too.

      Delete
  9. I somehow thought that the "I love Pandas" comment to be hilarious =P Because you blatantly do by posting so many random cute baby panda pics =P
    Yea, our brains are weird, we like to remember not very useful, random stuff...

    awww. Tips to not have cravings at late hours in the night: eat till you're REALLY stuffed during dinner

    works all the time =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought this post needed some cute-ness so I put in pics of pandas :P

      That doesn't work for me :/

      Delete
  10. I'm not sure what I remember from my Grandfather's funeral. It was such a long time ago and I don't think I was really old enough to understand what was happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think in some ways that a good thing.

      Delete
  11. There were also certain memories I remember from childhood. My favorite being I was sitting on mother's lap (I'm not walking yet). Sometimes I don't know if it's a dream or a memory.

    Oh my the writer of the book you like left a message for you? that's amazing.

    I will bake you cookies if I can... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh yes I feel that way too, like some moments are just a blur in my memory, so I'm not sure whether they actually happened.

      Haha I wish you were here so I could eat them! :D

      Delete
  12. Im LOVING your blog! Congrats on the tweet too! I might read that book now! New follower :) I hope you like my blog. x
    http://ebonyblacklines.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey thanks for visiting and comment on my blog..:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I had fun reading this post of yours PurpleMist. IT was like in The Hunger Games!!

    Hello PurpleMist can your write an a-z guest post for me for the letter "E"? For general information, visit this one: http://mr837.blogspot.com/2012/05/z-guest-post.html.

    Thanks! I'll be waiting for your response.
    If your done can you send it in the weekends?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha I don't get why it was like the Hunger Games O.O

      Yup, sure I'll do it :)

      Delete
  15. Cookies please! OMG, how I wished that if I'd write a book review, the author would read it. Hehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha you have no idea how shocked and happy I was when I saw the message :P

      Delete
  16. ..and this food makes me hungry!!

    Love.
    www.inthepourinrain.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. It does happen at times..You put it up very nicely up there.
    Those cookies look yum..and i know exactly about the midnight cravings :P

    You have a beautiful blog out here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank youuu :)
      Haha, if only I was awesome enough at baking to make them :P

      Delete
  18. Some memories linger without no reason. Perhaps, we like revisiting them again and again...and cheers to the author <3

    ReplyDelete
  19. I get what you mean about having random memories. I have those too! Anyways, it's so cool that the author messaged you! :D

    P.S. Thanks for checking out my Met Gala post.

    Lots of love, B
    http://vivalabreee.blogspot.com/
    Tweet me: Viva_La_Breee
    After Flats Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, the author actually messaged you! Im so jealous!

    Midnight cravings = my life.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Memories cross our minds so many times, and then we just long to go back to those moments.
    Cookies.. Bliss! I so want them now :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yupp :)
      Though there are some memories I wouldn't want to go back to :P

      Delete
  22. Jesus those cookies look insanely delicious.

    ReplyDelete