Monday, April 9, 2012

The Fault In Our Stars and The Hunger Games.

The Fault In Our Stars by John Green. 

As you may already know, there was a lot of hype surrounding this book before it even got published. The main reason I decided to read it was because once it DID get published, the internet wouldn't shut up about it (by that I mean people on Tumblr who kept reblogging these amazing quotes from this novel which I hadn't read and it was driving me crazy).

What I loved most about The Fault In Our Stars were the characters. They were so intriguing and different. And the dialogue was pretty epic too, just like John Green's other novels, pretty much the entire book was quote-able.

When I really love a book, I can't put it down. These days I have a lot of free time so I could have easily finished this book in a few days but it took me almost 2 weeks to complete it. I don't want to say it was boring because there were a lot of things I loved in it, but it just didn't make me feel like oh-my-god-I-can't-stop-reading-this. Also, it didn't make me cry. At all. And I don't say that with pride, when a book makes you cry it's a good thing because that shows that it really had some sort of affect on you. But for some reason I didn't cry while reading The Fault In Our Stars. Even though it was immensely sad and beautiful.

So overall, I think it's a great read, but I prefer John's other novel, Looking For Alaska.
I think I'm going to read Paper Towns next.

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are book which you can't tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.” 
― John Green, The Fault in Our Stars


---

The Hunger Games Movie (Spoilers!)

I watched the movie about 2 weeks ago. Since then I've had some time to think about it. I'm not disappointed at all, like a lot of other fans. I think the movie was actually very satisfying. Sure, there were some things which weren't exactly like the book but then again, I never expected it to be perfect. It met my expectations and I think the cast did a great job portraying the characters. 

I also liked how they showed the world outside of Katniss' view, like the control room for the Hunger Games and the interaction between President Snow and the head game-maker, Seneca Crane. The nightlock scene was one of my favourites since we weren't told how Seneca is killed and I think how they showed the death was pretty genius.

There were a number of things I would have changed or done differently, like give more importance to the mockingjay pin (in the movie Katniss got it from a shop instead of it being a gift from Madge). But I really think that despite all these flaws, the movie was great and the acting was as good as it could be, most of the actors played their roles perfectly.
I will surely watch it again whenever I get the chance!
What did you guys think of the movie?



44 comments:

  1. There's no harm in not feeling the same about a book that others do. I personally couldn't put it down but it was the same with all his other ones

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey you! Firstly, I want to say thanks for commenting on my blog ^^ And then I was going to say that in my school, it's exactly the same - I have to wear the trousers as well. It isn't as... awkward though, because the girls wear trousers time to time as well. The only time is when it's in the middle of Summer, and I'm the only one still in my jumper and trousers.... -_-'

    Anyway, hey, I... I have learnt to agree with you, on your review for The Hunger Games. There was a time I used to tear the movies apart when they came from books, but my friends have talked me into submission, so yes, your review conveys my thoughts exactly :)

    As for John Green - I've heard of him too, and I really want to get around to reading his books... but there's always a neverending list of books to read **sigh**

    (And I totally kept reading your About Me to the very end = ^_^ = )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Haha, good to know I'm not the only one!

      Glad I got you to agree with me :P
      I used to judge movies a lot too, but now I've sort of accepted the fact that no movie can ever live up to the book.

      Ah, you should definitely read John Green's books whenever you get the chance :)

      Delete
  3. Okay, two things added to my To Do list already! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll definitely add The Fault in the Stars on my list of books to read.

    Whoa.. You are right we have the same opinion about the Hunger Games movie. I think it's nice, it could be better but so far I'm satisfied. I will definitely watch it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great :D

      Yesss, I wanna watch it again too!

      Delete
  5. hahah I love how we have different reactions for these two things =P

    I guess I reacted differently to tfios (ie. cried a tonne) bcz of how many ppl around me hv died of cancer or have cancer right now... And I know that John could only write Hazel as a normal teenage girl after he met Esther, however she passed away a year ago, she is also the person who the book is dedicated to... and stuff.

    The hunger games. You already know how I was disappointed by it so =P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mhm, I guess it was more relate-able for you. And yeah, Esther, I've seen a video in which he talks about her.
      I would probably read tfios again but still not my favourite John Green book :P

      Delete
  6. I havent read either. What exactly is the fault in our stars about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel’s story is about to be completely rewritten."

      Read it :)

      Delete
  7. Great points :3 That book is on my to-read list on Goodreads xD I don't think that I'll get to it this month, but I will eventually! Great mini-review, btw!

    As for the movie... I couldn't have said it better! Although, well, it's fun to nitpick a movie after watching it :D Especially if it's one that's based on books that you're fond of. (Of course, we can't wait for the other movies that come after, can we?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great, let me know what you think after you've read it!

      Hahaha yeah.
      Gary Ross, the director of the movie, is not going to be directing Catching Fire. Which in some ways is good because Gary did the whole 'shaky camera' thing which many people criticised him for. Can't wait to see the next movie :D

      Delete
  8. very interesting post.
    i like it to read.
    if you have a second please visit me newest post:
    which bag should i choose?
    kisses
    maren anita

    Can I invite you to my GIVEAWAY ???:

    YSL lipstick & Nelly leather bracelet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer but I'm not interested in this particular giveaway :)

      But sure I'll check out your blog!

      Delete
  9. ah...lucky you to have free time... how much i long to read books but cannot find enough time and stamina :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, it's true that I have time but even then I get lazy to read :/

      Delete
  10. I wish I had more time to read. I really want to read The Hunger Games.

    xo,
    Em

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definitely read it whenever you get the time! :)

      Delete
  11. wow i love that quote by john green! thats how i feel but then again, i guess thats how most people feel too :)

    great post, loved reading it xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. John Green has the most amazing quotes in his novels!

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  12. I would really love to read that book but i do nopt have simply the time to read books, and my to be read list just keeps growing literally day by day..
    And yes The Hunger games movie was really good, i was not disappointed at all and Jennifer Lawrence did a really good job playing Katniss..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, that sucks :/
      Yup, I watched a few interviews of Jennifer before the movie, and I think I'm in love with her :P

      Delete
  13. Hello PurpleMist! :)

    The look of your blog goes very well with your name.
    I love reading books but I prefer those which won't make me cry. I have heard a lot about Hunger Games but never tried watching it. If it has action sequences then all the more reason to try it.

    BTW, I did read the entire 'crap' on your profile hoping to find you hiding in some dark corner. :D

    Have a good day! ^◡^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi :)

      Haha thank youuu! And yeah most people read the entire crap :P
      And you should watch/read Hunger Games whenever you have time, it does have a lot of action in it so I think you'll like it!

      Delete
  14. I did read that book
    I did not watch that movie either ;D
    So no comment.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I think that The Fault in Our Stars is my favourite. What did you think of Paper Towns?

    I love the Hunger Games! You have a brilliant blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read Paper Towns yet, just mentioned that it was next on my to-read list :)
      And thanks!

      Delete
  16. Your blog is so color full...
    Best suiting for your blog name..
    Came across your blog from Sui.

    jaice
    beinalone.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with what you said about The Hunger Games! Even though it wasn't perfect I still think it's really good and the acting is excellent!:)

    Love, Belle

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have The Hunger Games lined up in my to-read list. Everyone seems to be going ape about it

    ReplyDelete
  19. Watched Hunger Games, it was good but the filming made my head dizzy!
    I'm planning to read Fault in our stars too :)
    Great review and great blog :)
    Will follow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loads of people complained about the shaky camera, I didn't even notice it :P
      Oh, you should definitely read it!
      Thanks :)

      Delete
  20. I've heard A LOT about 'The Fault In Our Stars' as well and now, maybe I should give it a go. As for 'The Hunger Games' movie, I thought it was AWESOME! :D

    P.S. Thanks for checking out my Coachella Polyvore sets!

    Lots of love, B
    http://vivalabreee.blogspot.com/
    Tweet me: Viva_La_Breee
    After Flats Giveaway

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes yes, read it :D

      Haha, yup it was!

      Delete