Tuesday, November 1, 2011

I'm grateful.


Almost every day I complain about how my life sucks and how I have too much stress from exams and college. I say that it isn't fair that I have to learn and study all this stuff (which I have no interest in) faster than most people do. I think it's not fair that in certain ways, my options are so limited. It sucks that I might never get to do certain things that I really want to, or I might never get to visit and see certain places and people in my life.
But I realised that it doesn't matter. I'm already luckier than most of the people in this world. And I should never take that for granted.

We all think that our problems are the worst and that no one understands what we're going through and they don't know how hard it is. People get depressed over things like heartbreaks, family drama, mistakes they made in the past, self-esteem issues, education problems, and what-not. This happens because they spend so much time worrying about the little things, thinking and complaining about their life so much that they forget what their life is really worth. They don't realise that there are people in this world who would kill to be in their place.

I think we should all take a minute to think about  how truly lucky we are and learn to appreciate our life, no matter how messed up it may be :)


"The good times and the bad times both will pass. It will pass. It will get easier. But the fact that it will get easier does not mean that it doesn’t hurt now. And when people try to minimize your pain they are doing you a disservice. And when you try to minimize your own pain you’re doing yourself a disservice. Don’t do that. The truth is that it hurts because it’s real. It hurts because it mattered. And that’s an important thing to acknowledge to yourself. But that doesn’t mean that it won’t end, that it won’t get better. Because it will."
- John Green

22 comments:

  1. Because this is the SECOND time I'm trying to write this comment, it's going to be suckier than the one YOU'LL NEVER SEE (stupid blogspot)

    Anyways

    This is the typical "First World problem" reaction we have (even though admittingly, we're not exactly living in a "First world country") because we're not living or looking at people less fortunate than us 24/7.
    As humans, we always want to live a "better life", so we "idolise" the people who have it 'better' than you, it's human nature for us to be greedy that way.

    It's also so hard to know what's a "luxury" and a "need" nowadays, because it all depends on where you live and who you are. Someones need might be a luxury to you.

    It's always good to step back for a while sometimes and appreciate how lucky we are and strive to make the world a better place, for all of us.

    On a lighter note:
    Decrease World suck! And DFTBA!

    John Green ftw =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I'll never see the original one :/

    Yesss, exactly, humans all tend to want better for themselves. We don't compare ourselves with the ENTIRE world, just the people who surround us everyday, and for many of us it's all those celebrities and all live more luxuriously.

    Hahaha, I love John Green now, seriously, he's so quotable :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Damn, I LOVE your blog, not just because its so purple ^_^ but because it really speaks to me. You have a gift and this post is so true. And that's coming from a person living in a supposedly Third World country.
    Keep posting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful.

    We all should really take a minute to think about how truly lucky we are and appreciate our life, no matter how f***ed up it is.

    I REALLY DO MISS reading your blog. :O


    Have a Great Wednesday,
    Take Care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we should all take a minute to think about how truly lucky we are and learn to appreciate our life, no matter how messed up it may be

    Agree with you wholeheartedly on the point that we should appreciate our lives. If we sit back and think, we can find a lot of positives that get pushed to almost oblivion by a few negatives.

    ReplyDelete
  6. so true! :) thanks for visiting, now following! :)
    Juliet
    P.S. I love this background, used to have this one on my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. YAY A POST! :D
    But yeah, I totally agree. I mean, we should be grateful for what we have. People in undeveloped and even developing countries don't have what developed countries have. I live in Canada, so I know that I have tons of stuff other people don't have. Like a nice house, a computer of my own in my room, a TV in my room, a cell phone, etc.
    I do think about how lucky I am sometimes though. And I rarely ever say I'm bored.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for commenting on my blog. :) It was lovely.
    And I love this John Green quote. <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very well explained. I would like to say that it is very interesting to read your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  10. All She Wrote: Haha, aww, thank you so much :)

    Hamza: Yesss, exactly. And I miss YOURS! And thanks, you too :D

    Ramakant: Mhm, that's the point I was trying to get thru :)

    Kathy: Me too!

    Juliet: No problem. And yeah I designed my whole blog according to suit the background :P

    Jodie-Anne: Mhmm, exactly, I'm glad to hear that!

    Megan: Haha no problem.

    Shoaib: Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am one of such people who complain big time without bothering about anyone else....one of my friends used to say, "woman, people have real issues" :)

    I hope I get better...and cheers for such a genuine post....

    ReplyDelete
  12. i try to make an effort to complain less and be thankful more but i'm not always good at it

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a straight from the heart, honest post.. I absolutely loved it.. And after going through a stage where I'd crib and complain about every minute thing in life, I can proudly say, I've accepted my life and I don't take it for granted anymore. If only, people would rejoice and find happiness in the little things, their life would be so much better.

    P.S. I love the quote :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. WE cannot get everything in life. We need to see the brighter side life has to offer :)
    A wonderful positive post :) Just the kick I needed :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG i love your blog! Its so purple and coincidence that i came across it while dressed in purple?
    New follower btw, and what you have written is so true we often do not realise what we have and are rarely thankful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. TheBluntBlogger: Haha,well I hope you get better too :P

    Becca: Me too!

    confused soul: I'm so glad to hear that :)

    Philo: thanks a lot!

    Mahnoor: hahaha :D Yay, I shall go look at your blog now!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Food does make me happy :D
    Nice one.

    ReplyDelete