Friday, August 19, 2011

What I've Been Reading...

I have read two books in the past few weeks. I don't have time to review them properly because I take ages reviewing a book, and to be honest I'm too lazy to do that right now. The only proper review I've done was on 'The book that changed my life', and it took me hours to get it right.

Looking for Alaska by John Green
When Miles Halter leaves for boarding school, he goes to seek what dying poet Rabelais called the "Great Perhaps". Much awaits Miles at Culver Creek, including Alaska Young. Clever, funny, self destructive and dead sexy, Alaska pulls Miles into her labyrinth, catapulting him into an unimaginable future...
House Rules by Jodi Picoult
House Rules is about Jacob Hunt, a teenage boy with Asperger’s Syndrome. He’s hopeless at reading social cues or expressing himself well to others, and like many kids with AS, Jacob has a special focus on one subject – in his case, forensic analysis. He’s always showing up at crime scenes, thanks to the police scanner he keeps in his room, and telling the cops what they need to do…and he’s usually right. But then one day his tutor is found dead, and the police come to question him. All of the hallmark behaviors of Asperger’s – not looking someone in the eye, stimulatory tics and twitches, inappropriate affect – can look a heck of a lot like guilt to law enforcement personnel — and suddenly, Jacob finds himself accused of murder.
These novels really made me think, even after I had finished reading. I highly recommend them!
I wish I could write more but I really need to get some sleep :/
If you have read any good books recently, tell me!

20 comments:

  1. OOOOH MY GOSHHH! I read Looking For Alaska some time last year! I really liked it :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking for Alaska is on my 'to-read' list on Goodreads. It looks like an amazing book. Love John Green. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. All of John Green's books were my favorites. What a ride Looking For Alaska is :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay. I HAVE to read House Rules no matter what. Jodi is like my favorite most writer, i tell you. :D

    Read My Sister's Keeper, Handle with care & Second Glance By Jodi Picoult.

    Read 'Attonement' by Ian McEwan. Awesome one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read the second one and love it. Jodi Picoult rules! xD You should read Salem Falls by her if you haven't.

    ReplyDelete
  6. the second one sounds INTERESTING...
    i a gonna get my hands on it,
    and i would suggest: In other room other wonders, by
    danial mueenuddin, its a really nice book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. JODI PICOULT!

    *runs to the library to look for House Rules*

    :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. uhm have you read Kafka's The Castle? and Plath's The Bell Jar? :) Would love to know your feedback, in case you did.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sea of poppies? it's amazing, i highly recommend it.
    I like jodi picoult, but i think her endings leave a lot to be desired sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Jodi Picoult. House Rules is an amazing book, I loved it!:D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jodie-Anne: Yesss it's awesome :D

    Rebecca: You HAVE to read it, I think you would like it. Haha, I'm a john green fan too now that I've read his first novel!

    Jay: I really want to read his other books, like Paper Towns!

    KN: YES you do! Oooh ok :D I'm going to read 'my sister's keeper' next!
    Thanks for the suggestions :)

    Hanis: I haven't read Salem Falls, I'll google it and see what it's about!

    Ateeq: Yay, thanks for the suggestions, i'll look for those!

    Ezazi: hahaha, read it and tell me what you thought of it :D

    Aasiyah:Nope I haven't, I'll see what they're about!

    Cricketfreak: I'll go check it out :) And I know what you mean, I was expecting a big twist at the end of House Rules but that didn't happen. It was a great book nevertheless!

    Tay Tay: You've read it too?! I know, so thought provoking, I loved it too :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. haha I'm glad John is getting so much exposure on yours and my blog =P
    French the Llama Nerdfighters =D
    I want more of his books =(
    Can't wait for Tfios =D
    and dude, I tell you to read plenty of books but you never hv time =P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Twefrence: hahaha, it took me a while to get what 'ttfios' stands for :P I knowwww, no time :( blah.
    I want to read Paper Towns! but don't worry I might not read it before u since a) not much time and b) I have this other book I need to read first :P

    ReplyDelete
  14. haha it's "TFios" =P
    I know.. John Green actually has quite a lot of books.
    Paper towns, An abundance of Katherines, Will Grayson, will grayson. some book about christmas..

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oops typo :P
    Yeah I wiki-ed him, but I could only find Looking for Alaska and Paper Towns :/

    ReplyDelete
  16. mmm yeah...
    I guess those 2 are his most famous works...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yeah, and out of all the blurbs I've read, those two are the ones which sound the most appealing to me anyways :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. Looking for Alaska really sounds like a good book, will buy it * ___ *

    ReplyDelete
  19. Took a minute to look around, nice blog! Maybe we can follow each other through google friend connect? Nice stuff here so I added you, glad to have found your site!

    Hugs from NYC
    TravelDesignery.com

    .

    ReplyDelete
  20. iZaynab: Yess :D

    Travelista: Yup, sure :)

    ReplyDelete