Sunday, November 21, 2010

My NaNoWriMo Experience #3

9 days left and I'm 7840 words behind.

As you would've guessed, by now I feel like I can't make it and everyone around me is telling me to just forget about it. But then I came across something on the NaNoWriMo website. Here it is:

I don’t know what it is this year. Maybe people are just really stressed out in their personal lives, which I can understand with the economy and all, but there just seems to be a lot of haters out there this year.

People hatin’ on NaNoWriMo. People hatin’ on your efforts to participate in NaNoWriMo. Maybe even you hatin’ on yourself.

Well I have a message to all the haters.

Stuff it.

You may have heard about an article on Salon that lambasted NaNoWriMo and people who participate it. Well, that hater can stuff it.

Over in LitFic, we have people saying don’t even bother trying to write LitFic because trying to write fast is the antithesis to LitFic. This could very well be happening in other regions too. Well, those haters can stuff it.

There very well might be people in your life right now questioning why you should even bother writing. Especially if you don’t even want to publish (“Well whats the point then?”) Well, those haters can stuff it.

There might be a little voice, or a big voice, right now inside of you yelling that you’re silly for even trying to do NaNoWriMo because you don’t have the talent or there are other things you should be doing. Well, those hater self doubts can stuff it.

I’m here to give you permission. I give you permission to hit your dream. I give you permission to write a novel when everyone else is hatin’ on you for it. If there is any one person, even if it is yourself, that’s demotivating you, tell that hater to stuff it. I refuse, absolutely refuse, to let any Atlanta NaNoWriMo participant get demovitated from hitting your goal, hitting your dream. If you’re hearing people telling you to quit, or that you shouldn’t even try, or its useless, I want you to close your eyes and picture this:

A six foot six huge panda bear with a sign saying “You can do it.” And then imagine that panda running after whoever is hatin’ on you and yelling at them to stuff it. And I’ll be there to help you as much of I can.

I’m declaring this an open thread. If you’re getting down on yourself, post here. If others are hatin’ on you, post here. And if you want to counteract that hate with some love and support, post those messages here too.

This made me feel so much better. Yes, I'm far behind on my word count and yes it's becoming more and more likely that I won't write 50k by the end of the month. But the point is, I've done so much better than a lot of people would in their first year attempting NaNoWriMo. So instead of getting demotivated by all those telling me to give up, I just have to keep going and at least try my best. After all, I've already written so much more of the novel than I normally would. I should be happy about that.

I'll shut up and get back to writing now.

10 comments:

  1. ahhhhh Kongfu Panda squishing haterzzz =OO.
    RUN!!! =P GO GO GO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaa. i could have done some

    ReplyDelete
  3. Twefrence: Haha, I knew you would comment on the panda thing!

    Taha: Yeah right, you wouldn't do it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have no clue whaNaNoWriMo is but i wish you all the best with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I keep writing and catching up, then falling behind again. I have good days and bad days. I've had days where I haven't written a word or maybe only 300-400 words. I've had days where I've written 4,000 words. It's all up to you and how badly you want it. Don't give up until midnight on November 30th, and even if you aren't at 50k then, still don't give up. Don't give up until your story has been told, regardless of what you want to do with it afterward. Finish your story. And even if you don't finish in November, congratulations anyway. November got you started on something you probably wouldn't have done otherwise. You're chasing after a dream and enjoying it. You've already won.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becca: Haha, thank you :)

    Mer_Melody: That encouraged me a lot! :D :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't give up, you never will get any inspiration to write that book that you will be writing that sells millions.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely don't give up. And hey, the end of November doesn't mean the end of words, or even the end of writing!:) This is my first year on NaNoWriMo, and I'm loving it to death...despite those nights where the clock is ticking past midnight and I can't think of a word more to say but I HAVE TO REACH MY WORD COUNT! lol. Good luck on the novel!

    ReplyDelete
  9. SoaringEagle: Thank you, I've made so much progress since I wrote this blog post. I'm nearing 50k! :D

    ReplyDelete