Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My NaNoWriMo Experience #2

12 days left until the end of November.

12 days left to write 24,622 words.

Yes, I'm panicking. Yes, I feel like I should quit. Yes, I think it's almost impossible. Yes, I should be writing right now.

After reading a number of forums and discussions, I noticed that everyone seemed to be dreading Week Two of November. Now I know why.

I wrote around half of the number of words I was supposed to. Now I am way behind. According to other participants who are also undergoing similar difficulties, I have been "Week Two'd"- they make it sound like some sort of a curse, which is exactly what it is.

This is how Lindsey Grant (Program Direct of NaNoWriMo) described it: Week Two has a bad reputation. Heck, we even capitalize it! A couple days ago, I saw that a Wrimo had posted, "I've been Week Two'd" as her Facebook status. Sounds painful doesn't it? For participants everywhere writing a novel this November, this has become the week to survive.

So, did I survive it? In some ways, yes. It's not like I completely stopped writing. In other ways, no, I didn't manage to reach the goals I had set for myself. However, now that we're on to week three, I feel like I've found where this story is going, and I'm ready to get back to writing.

Current Stats:
Over-all goal: 50,000
Words so far: 25,378
Words remaining: 24,622

Words I need to write to catch up: 4622

*Sigh.*

10 comments:

  1. haha awwww. you've totally been week two'd =P
    I have just epic failed and shall just keep on going and see when I can actually finish it =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't let yourself stop! I've not only been Week Two'd, I'm being Week Three'd also, both in good and bad ways. They YAY I'M OVER 25K MARK! way and the NOW WHAT? way as well. There are good days and bad days, but as long as you sit down to try to write every day (regardless of what you accomplish when you do) you're already way ahead of a lot of people! Keep up the spirit!! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, I needed that, good luck to you too! =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tomorrow will be the weekend- a day with a few cups of tea/coffee goes a long way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stay strong, determined and make sure you're enjoying it and you'll surpass your goal with ease. Good luck on your quest.
    Sincerely, Jw.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My momentum was good until I was hit with a bout of emotional sadness, a mini mini heart break and a deadline for a report that took over a week.

    Its all bad mojo =.= I'm trying to push myself to write but BAM, I just lost it. But goood luck with yours :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. My friend, I have the utmost respect for anyone who attempts the 'NaNo' writing that continues though November.
    I guess the key is to not put yourself under too much pressure and take time out for positive distractions other than writing.
    I consider writing therapeutic and cathartic. Here's wishing you the very best in your ongoing writing endeavours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hanis: At least you attempted it! Thanks for the wishes :)
    klahanie: I agree! Though finding 'positive' distractions isn't the easiest thing to do when I would much rather procrastinate.
    Anyways, thank you so much for the motivation! :D

    ReplyDelete